For several decades TOFD method has been widely used for fast and reliable UT of welded joints. TOFD offers great accuracy for measuring the critical size of crack-like-defects. The accuracy of better than ±1mm can be obtained in a wide range of material thickness.
TOFD 2.2 PRO ultrasonic weld testing equipment
TOFD method has been widely used for fast and reliable ultrasonic testing (UT) of welded joints over the last years. TOFD offers great accuracy for measuring the critical size of crack-like-defects. The accuracy of better than ±1mm can be achieved in a wide range of material thicknesses.
“TOFD 2.2 PRO System” performs mechanized UT of butt welds using Time-Of-Flight Diffraction (TOFD) technique. The Equipment is used for ultrasonic testing of welded joints in:
- flat objects;
- tubes of medium and large diameters – OD not less than 12 in (300 mm) – depends on the scanner type;
- spherical and cylindrical oil and gas tanks – OD no less than 33 ft (10 m).
Wall thickness: from .25 to 12 in (6 to 300 mm). Profile types: CRC Evans, single J groove weld, single V groove weld, double V groove weld, X welds, etc.
- Quick, accurate and highly reproducible weld inspection.
- Wireless operation. The NDT inspector with a data acquisition PC can stay anywhere within Wi-Fi range.
- The ultrasonic weld tester can work with any type of Windows based computer: Laptop, Desktop, Tablet, etc. Interface is both mouse- and finger-friendly.
- Select, do not setup! – Really quick and comprehensive setup due to the element libraries: Geometry library, Materials library, Scanners library, Probes library, etc.
- Automated water supply individually under each probe.
- The scanner design ensures protection of its electronics against fall down.
Main advantages of TOFD are:
- Detects defects regardless of their orientation, in contrast to the pulse echo technique.
- In contrast to the radiography method, planar defects and cracks, which are not perpendicular to the measured surface can be detected.
- High degree of repeatability
- Precise defect sizing capability
- Fast scanning only along the weld. Full volume inspection in a single run.
- Immediate results and permanent digital records with graphic images.
- Amplitude insensitive – acoustical coupling less critical.
- Set-up independent of weld configuration.
TOFD 2.2 PRO Scanner is compact and reliable equipment, which assures stable scanning results. Such NDT instrument is most often used as ultrasonic pipe testing equipment.Magnetic wheels and spring loaded probes carriers with self-positioning system ensure transducers stability on the object surface which results in good coupling necessary for testing results reliability. Scanner is easy to drive and doesn’t fall from the object even when upside-down. Scanner carries TOFD Ethernet module, Wi-Fi module, and rechargeable battery pack. Cases of TOFD module and battery pack are shockproof. All equipment has protection rating IP65. Scanner design ensures that at fall down, the main impact will come to the scanner structure elements saving electronics. Storage battery ensures 8 hours of TOFD 2.2. PRO system operation. But it can be replaced with a single hand in several seconds if necessary.
General specifications ▼
|Testing objects parameters|
|Thicknesses||.25 – 2 in (6 – 50 mm)|
|Diameter for cylindrical objects||from 12 in (300 mm) to flat|
|Diameter for spherical objects||from 33 ft (10 m) to flat|
|Scanner (with all electronics onboard)|
|Dimensions (L×W×H)||380×310×240 mm|
|Number of TOFD pairs||1|
|Coupling liquid supply||individually for each probe|
|Compatible probes and wedges|
|Angles (L-wave)||45°, 60°, 70°|
|Number of cursors||2|
|Types of cursors||Conventional (cross) Hyperbolic|
|Indications parameters||X, X1, X2, dX Z, Z1, Z2, dZ Type (Point, Top, Bottom, Middle,Volumetric) Amplitude|
|Units||mm / in / us|
TOFD unit specifications ▼
|Pulser and Receiver||2 × BNC|
|Voltage (SWP)||20 V, 30 V, 40 V, 50 V, 80 V, 100 V|
|Energy (SWP)||20 ns to 500 ns with 10 ns step Manual & Auto modes|
|PRF||from 15 to 2000 Hz|
|Range||Up to 100 us|
|Delay||Up to 100 us|
|Gain||0 to 110 dB, with 0.1 dB step|
|Max signal input||20 V p-p|
|Bandwidth||0.2 MHz – 27 MHz|
|Filters||1 MHz, 2-3 MHz, 4-5 MHz, 10 MHz, 15 MHz, Full band|
|Signal Average||2x / 4x / 8x / 16x / 32x|
Basic delivery set:
- TOFD 2.2 PRO scanner (with electronics, battery and transducers on board);
- Software for MS Windows laptop/tablet;
- Manual (hard copy);
- Hard case.
Available at option:
- Rugged Notebook or Tablet PC with pre-installed TOFD Software;
- Additional transducers (see tab “Transducers”);
- Portable water tank (3,52gal/16l) with motorized pump (2-4,5Bar);
- Extra battery.